07 November 2013

Visiting Mr. Boy

So Mr. Boy has been quite sick for quite sometime, and we found out not too long ago that he has Stage IV cancer.  He went to Toronto, where he grew up, for treatment.  And so I find myself here visiting him.  The chemotherapy is making his body weak and his mind tired.  He has no energy, can't eat right now, and the pain he's in is visible on his face.  This is depsite the medications they give along with the chemo to make him comfortable.

When I crack a joke, he tries to smile, but I can tell he's not amused.  Today, they're running some tests to see how effective his treatment is so far, one week in.  And I'm leaving to go back to Chicago, which breaks my heart because I want him to be here and I can see the sadness in his face that I can't stay longer right now.  He'll be here for three months.

No comments: