07 July 2013

Showing My Parents the Gayborhood

So my parents were in town last weekend to see some museum exhibits.  While visiting Chicago, they came with me to Mishkan, which for Pride Shabbat was at Anshe Emet, on the north end of Boystown.  My parents have been to Chicago more times than I can easily count, but they had never been to Boystown.  So, after Kabbalat Shabbat, an awesome Ma'ariv, and a wonderful dinner with rainbow-sprinkled challah which reminded my mother of the challah made by Fantasia Bakery in San Francisco when she was growing up, I took my parents for a stroll down Halsted from Broadway to Belmont.

My parents grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and are fairly liberal and accepting, if not up on current terminology.  However, Pride parades, or parades of any sort, are not their style, so I didn't invite them to go to Sunday's festivities.  As we walked, I shared a little about the history of Boystown, and pointed out the "famous" places, as well as my favorite places.  Upon seeing a drag queen outside of Roscoe's, my father remarked, "OK, now we're here."  My mom was a little shocked that "they still have bathhouses."

No comments: