01 October 2011

Home for the Holidays

I'm living in Chicago which is a short train ride away from where my parents live.  It's too close to try to stay in my adopted home for the holidays when my parents extend an invitation to their home.  While my broader synagogue family in South Bend is warm and loving and it's good to see people, going home, especially for a major holiday has its disadvantages.  It's not an appropriate time to come out to people, in large part, though a member of the synagogue once came out publicly on Yom Kippur afternoon.  I have an established rule that if I don't ask people to change which name or pronouns they use for me, then I don't take offense if they use the "wrong" ones.  Of course, it's still stressful and somewhat foreign by now to spend a lot of time being addressed by a name I haven't used in years over and over.

No comments: