24 December 2009

A Wish on Christmas (Does that make this a Christmas wish?)

Sometimes, well, truth be told, often, I wish there was an on-off switch for being a token fill-in-the-blank. Most of the time, I am glad to answer questions about my gender identity, dispel myths about various sorts of queers, or discuss (at length) Arab-Israeli conflict. I usually don't mind being the only Midwesterner around, or the only sports fan, or wannabe-theater-geek. I will be patient and explain that, "No, Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah," as many times as necessary for someone to understand or at least stop bugging me about it. But sometimes, I just want to be me. I don't want to be Hoosier me, or UofC-educated me, or former-Obama-campaign-intern me, or jobless me, or Jewish me, or queer me, or trans me, or guy me, or dyke me, or even queer-Jew me. I just want to be me. So why does the Token Hat seemed superglued to my head?

No comments: