02 August 2006

Queering Aggada

So, back to the philosophical posts, I suppose.

I have been reading Twice Blessed: On Being Lesbian or Gay and Jewish, and I find that many of the essays discuss the "queering" of sacred texts that I am well familiar with. These include reading homosexuality into the relationships of David and Jonathan, as well as Ruth and Naomi. One that surprised me, however, is the queering of the legend of Akiba and his wife Rachel. Someone, I'm blanking now, writes that we can read into the text that their marriage was a cover-up because they were not straight. This is why Akiba was able to leave Rachel for so long.
(He left for 12 years at the house of study, then left for 12 more, according to legend).

Also, on the same topic, (this is mine now) could Ben Azzai and Ben Zoma have been partners of sorts? After all, neither was married.

No comments: