28 March 2006

Return of the King

I'm back in Chicago and back at the University. This is absolutely wonderful. I don't know what I'd have done if they did not let me back. I think I can get into all the classes I want to take. I am taking a class called Body/Soul: Approaches to Prayer; it is nothing like I expected it to be, but I think it will be a good experience. We are required to do a 'prayer exercise', which is designed to be accessible to those of all religious persuasions and lack thereof (we'll see about that, I suppose). I find this at the same time creepy and extremely interesting. The idea is to turn ourselves into subjects on a quest to find out what changes prayer causes and for whom it causes them. So far, I think the course may be harder to access for people who are not themselves the type who pray. For me, the prayer exercise is a change because it involves private meditation rather than communal prayer. However, since I have on occasion done meditation, I think I will get used to it.

No comments: