31 January 2006

Coretta Scott King (1927-2006)

Coretta Scott King has been one of my role models since age nine or ten. That's essentially when I decided I was going to be an activist for equal rights and justice. Like her husband, she championed civil rights for all and nonviolent resistance as a way to achieve them. Furthermore, she advocated nonviolence as a way of life. She exhibited compassion, passion, and love in her private and public lives. She helped us to see the meaning of the words of Pirkei Avot: It is not up to you to finish the work, neither are you free to abstain from it.

Let us all remember Coretta Scott King and the lessons she has taught us.

Edit: It strikes me as profoundly interesting and appropriate that she passed away during Parashat Bo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point Babe...and We miss you, your presence, and your abaility to eat wick food...

Smile and have a great day (and I symapthize a lot about the medication)