30 January 2006

#4 - Across Five Aprils

This book, by Irene Hunt, who wrote the Newberry Award winning Up a Road Slowly, tells the story of Jethro Creighton, a boy living in southern Illinois at the time of the American Civil War. In addition to capturing the horrors and triumphs of the war, the book examines how families can be torn apart and strengthened by divisive issues and geographic circumstance. The book is extremely well-written. However, the best part of the book is that it contains no prejudice against the South or secession - only prejudice against slavery.

I highly recommend this book to any reader, even though you might find it in the children's section.

2 comments:

*Jo* said...

I will absolutely save you a shirt, Judy! I miss you!!!! Aya and I were just talking about how we missed you yesterday. Come visit maybe? Hugs!!!!

Kythe said...

I might - life has been pretty crazy lately. Although, if my current medication is working, which so far it seems to be, I'll be back next quarter.

And I'll take a medium or a large.